Author Topic: Another bearing change  (Read 2391 times)

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
  • Run it like a Big Block !
Re: Another bearing change
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 09:48:09 AM »
Update, but without pictures. 

After some carefull work with the file and 320 grit on both the axle and the sprocket, it slid on easily.  Same for the new, outer bearing.   I managed to locate the spring clip for the master link which had launched itself into the hull somewhere, and proceeded to put it all back together.   First time, I forgot about the mastic on the outer bearing housing. 

Second time, I forgot to put the spacer washers between the axle splines and the inner bearing.

Third time, I put the outer sprocket on the wrong way around

So, 4th time, it's all good, everything in its place and teh axle turns freely, so not bent.  The new chain adjusters keep the chain a little tighter than I'd like, even backed all teh way off.  If I put the roller on the other way around, it's too  loose, so there's no good compromise.  I'll go for too tight, as too loose lets the chain drag on the bottom of the hull. 

One more new chain adjuster to do, and it's going back together.  Not a terribly hard job, but then it's the easy rear axle, so...

That is why I run the Ratchet adjusters . They work great and stay in place!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:49:53 AM by wedge »
3= Amphicat. 1= StarCraft. 1= Max 2= Attex  And Counting

Offline a65l

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New 6x6'er
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 02:43:09 PM »
Update, but without pictures. 

After some carefull work with the file and 320 grit on both the axle and the sprocket, it slid on easily.  Same for the new, outer bearing.   I managed to locate the spring clip for the master link which had launched itself into the hull somewhere, and proceeded to put it all back together.   First time, I forgot about the mastic on the outer bearing housing. 

Second time, I forgot to put the spacer washers between the axle splines and the inner bearing.

Third time, I put the outer sprocket on the wrong way around. 

So, 4th time, it's all good, everything in its place and teh axle turns freely, so not bent.  The new chain adjusters keep the chain a little tighter than I'd like, even backed all teh way off.  If I put the roller on the other way around, it's too  loose, so there's no good compromise.  I'll go for too tight, as too loose lets the chain drag on the bottom of the hull. 

One more new chain adjuster to do, and it's going back together.  Not a terribly hard job, but then it's the easy rear axle, so...

Offline ascaw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Master 6x6'er
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 10:52:40 AM »
Sounds like you are doing the right things.  Clean everything and repair/file/sand all burrs/high spots and corrosion.  Double check to make sure there is only one set screw per set screw hole.  I have seen double set screws, one backing the other up like a jam nut.  Also check to make sure the axle is not bent.  Once you have everything cleaned and ready to put back together, if it is still too tight then you may have to freeze the axle (over night if possible) and heat the sprocket and bearings.  Hopefully that will give you enough clearance to reassemble a little easier.  Maybe Wedge will have some more tips and info that can help you out.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 05:37:33 PM by ascaw »

Offline a65l

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New 6x6'er
Another bearing change
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 10:09:52 AM »
Max II.  Machine has splined axles, but they are retained with set screws and not circlips.  I don't even see any grooves for circlips, but then I haven't gotten the axle fully cleaned and inspected. 

So, changing the outer bearing, as it leaks and has play.  The setscrews came out readily enough, from all the locations, and the outer bearing ecentric released easily and moved.  The master link also came off the chain fairly easily.   Thus endeth the easy part of this job, so far. 

The sprocket was locked in position.  No corrosion that I see, but the shaft is coated with years of chain lube and dust, which I cleaned off (I thought) fairly well.  But the sprocket wouldn't move.  Not an inch.  I had to take a drift and fairly stout hammer to it, and wound up tapping it all the way off the shaft.  All. The. Way.  The outer bearing required the press to remove as well, not as tight, but it was easier with the HF 20 tonner than it would have been to tap it, and I'm looking for reasons to use that thing. 

Now, on the re-assembly side, I note that the sprocket will not slide easily on the axle.  I still need to do some more cleaning and some minor nick removal, but I would expect that it slides easily over the machined portion of the shaft, and it dosen't.  The sprocket dosen't appear to be out of round, but who knows.  It's equally tight all around, which makes me doubt that it's eccentric, but again, who knows.  What I forsee doing to re-assemble:

Work the nicks/etc on the shaft, and then polish it untill it's smooth to the touch.  I also need to work the sprocket bore a little bit, I didn't have a brass drift long enough so I used a steel rod, and it nicked the edges of the hole a bit.  If the sprocket dosen't slide on easily, I'll work the inside of the splines with a file until it does.  Hopefully I don't have to work the tops of the splines as well. 

That's about it..  any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I've owned the machine for more than a year, and this is the first major maintenance I've had to do.  It's a rear axle, of course, so getting to the bolt on the end is a bitch, but I worked on aircraft for 20 years so I'm used to it.